I came up with this idea of making drawer skirts to protect the drawers from paint gun overspray. I didn’t think this was all that great of an idea until I bounced it off of Christina over at Phoenix Restoration and she said it was “genius.” Then Ron too told me it was great idea. So, I thought I will share with you my quick tutorial
I have gotten lazy many times and skipped the very important step of protecting the drawers from overspray. Between sanding, priming, dust prevention, warming paint, this that and blah blah blah, I feel like I will never ever get to actual painting. Taping the drawers is the step I have sacrificed many times and I am not proud of it. Well no more!!
I made drawer skirts to protect the drawers! It was a late night project so pardon the dark iPhone pictures.
I went to Joann and bought two fabrics two yards each. One was 54 inch wide and the other one was slightly smaller; I would say about 40inch? Not sure. I also bought three spools of elastic 4.5 yard each.
I folded the fabric lengthwise like this –
and did a quick stitch to make a tube out of it. Like this –
Then I cut the smaller fabric tube in four pieces, and the wider fabric in three pieces (no pic). I wanted to make the bigger skirts a bit longer for deeper drawers.
The I sewed one side with about an inch deep pocket. This will be where your elastic will go. Important **leave an opening of about a couple of inches** so you can insert the elastic and then close up that opening.
I would advise cutting the elastic about one whole side length and another quarter. I hope the pics will help make sense of this. You want your skirts to be nice and tight but not too tight to the point the elastic will get worn off quick.
I threaded the elastic using a hair pin. This was fun, or not, because I “lost” the elastic several times. I am clumsy.
Then I sewed both ends of the elastic together, closed up the opening and I was done!
I went a step further and finished off the bottom end later. I can’t have loose threads flying around… it will get in my high gloss paint in no time.
And there it is– my drawers, all dressed up in their skirts ready for spraying. Sorry, not sure why the front one is not behaving like a lady but you get the idea.
The most dreadful part of this project was shopping at Joann’s. It took a good 40 minutes for my turn to get the fabric cut and the store was HOT.
One important tip – stay away from linty fabrics like this one –
Nooo…the lint will ruin your paint job. Stick with a medium weight cotton fabric even though it may not be the cheapest one. I believe I spent about $30 on the supplies. The 50% off one item coupon had expired, as always, for me. So I had to use the 20% off the entire purchase coupon, which isn’t so bad. If you time your fabric purchase, you can do this for much less.
Now I just need to sew about 700 more for all the drawers that are everywhere in my basement! I plan to make more smalls, medium and a few large and extra large ones for some oversized pieces that I have bought.